It’s never much fun drilling holes into our boat (and we drilled a lot of them this winter), but after consulting with our surveyor, George, we decided it was important to get core sample of the hull.
During his survey of Tioga in the previous week, George’s moisture meter had signaled a relatively high moisture level in larger sections of the hull (mostly close to a through-hull). Given that we are planning a longer passage and also hoped for a decent survey outcome for our insurance, we decided to drill hole from the inside to get to the core between the two fiberglass layers to determine what shape it was in.
Peter carefully drilled the hole through the first fiberglass layer and then into the wood, making sure to not drill into the outer layer. To our surprise, the wood was in very good shape and had to be broken off the outer hull. We drilled a hole close the the through-hull and one further away, deeper in the hull.
So no water damage and a confirmation that we are ready for the trans-atlantic journey. We’ll fill the holes back up this week.
Quite a relief for all involved.